Press Releases - 2019 Archives
Top 5 Travel Tips for a Thankful Thanksgiving
PHOENIX – Thanksgiving is one of the busiest holiday travel weekends at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport. Here are the top five travel tips that will make flying to and from America’s Friendliest Airport® smooth and stress-free.
- Tip # 1 – Pick-up or drop-off travelers at the 44th St. PHX Sky Train® Station to avoid airport roadway traffic and terminal curbside congestion.
The 44th St. PHX Sky Train® Station is centrally located on the southwest corner of 44th and Washington streets and can easily be reached from highways, major streets and the Valley Metro Rail. It features a Cell Phone Waiting Lot and it provides easy access to all airport terminals via the free PHX Sky Train®.
- Tip # 2 – If you’re planning to park at the airport, book your parking ahead of time with Sky Harbor Discount Parking to save time and money.
Sky Harbor Discount Parking allows travelers to reserve their parking online for any of the terminal garages, the East Economy Surface Lot and the East Economy Garages at a discounted rate.
- Tip # 3 – Check the flight status with the airline before coming to the airport to catch a flight or to pick-up/drop-off loved ones.
Flight status can be checked on the airline’s website or via an online search engine. Travelers can also check current TSA security checkpoint wait times on the homepage of skyharbor.com and on the flight information screens in the Airport once they arrive. If you are flying out of Terminal 4, you can use any of the security checkpoints to access your gate.
- Tip # 4 – Once you have confirmed the flight status, be sure to give yourself plenty of time.
Arrive at the airport at least two hours before your flight departs if you are flying domestically and three hours before if you are flying internationally. Travelers can also sign-up for the PHX Track Your Flight through the flight search page on skyharbor.com to get important flight updates.
- Tip # 5 – Overhead freeway signs will alert you to traffic, accidents and alternate routes.
Expect busy roadways and plan accordingly, especially the day before Thanksgiving. Drivers should watch their speed and keep an eye out for officers directing traffic once at Sky Harbor.
If you arrive at the airport and get through security with time to spare, check out some of the shopping and dining options, browse through the online 2019 Holiday Catalog for gift ideas or check out the art exhibitions on display by the Phoenix Airport Museum while you wait for your flight. For more travel tips, visit skyharbor.com.
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, America’s Friendliest Airport®, has an annual economic impact of more than $38 billion. Every day approximately 1,200 aircraft and more than 120,000 passengers arrive and depart at Sky Harbor. PHX Sky Harbor is funded with Airport revenue. No tax dollars are used to support the Airport.