Press Releases - 2020 Archives
Travel Stress Free this Thanksgiving
PHOENIX – Like so many things this year, Thanksgiving travel is going to look and feel different from previous years. It is usually one of the busiest travel holidays at our Airport and this year, while a little different, will no doubt still be a busy Thanksgiving weekend. If you are planning to travel out of town, here are some tips to keep in mind for a safe and stress-free trip:
- Tip #1 – Use the 44th St. PHX Sky Train® Station to pick-up or drop-off travelers and avoid terminal curb congestion. The 44th St. PHX Sky Train® Station is centrally located and can easily be reached from highways, major streets and the Valley Metro Rail. It features a Cell Phone Waiting Lot and it provides easy access to all airport terminals via the free PHX Sky Train®.
- Tip # 2 – Check your flight status and security checkpoint wait times before arriving at the airport. Flight status can be checked with your airline and security checkpoint wait times are available on the homepage of skyharbor.com and on the flight information displays at the airport once you arrive.
- Tip # 3 – If you’re planning to park at the airport, book your parking ahead of time with Sky Harbor Discount Parking to save time and money. Our parking options provide you with the most convenient access to the terminals. Save money while arriving to the airport in the safety of your own vehicle and avoid the last-minute hassle of figuring out where to park.
- Tip #4 – Be on the lookout for overhead freeway signs. The Wednesday before Thanksgiving is the busiest day of the year on our roadways. The signs will alert you to traffic, accidents and provide alternate routes where possible. Be sure to check www.az511.com for the latest traffic information.
- Tip #5 – Review the TSA requirements for carry-on and checked baggage. It doesn’t hurt to reference the TSA Travel Checklist and see what you can and can’t pack in your suitcase including that turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce.
- Tip # 6 – Lastly, be sure to give yourself plenty of time. Plan to arrive at least two hours prior to your departure time and be sure to bring a face covering. Travelers are required to wear a face covering inside all airport facilities including the rental car shuttle buses. If you forget your face covering or need other personal protective equipment (PPE), you can purchase one at a PPE vending machine or at a retail store or find masks available outside the security checkpoints.
If you haven’t traveled by air in the past eight months, you can find all the information you need about Sky Harbor’s health and safety measures by visiting the PHX – Here for You page on skyharbor.com. We have implemented increased sanitization, including installing UV-C Light technology which constantly cleans escalator handrails. Restrooms provide touch-free handwashing facilities. We have also installed distancing markers and plexiglass barriers throughout our terminals. And face coverings are required throughout all public airport facilities for the safety of all travelers. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) also launched a new online resource for travelers to learn how to Fly Healthy during the holiday season. Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving.
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, America’s Friendliest Airport®, has an annual economic impact of more than $38 billion. Every day approximately 1,200 aircraft and more than 125,000 passengers arrive and depart at Sky Harbor. PHX Sky Harbor is funded with Airport revenue. No tax dollars are used to support the Airport.