What's Happening Stories
Planning Ahead Key to Kicking Off December Holiday Travel
PHOENIX – December holiday travel is underway and for travelers flying someplace, we have some handy tips for navigating America’s Friendliest Airport®.
The end of the year is one of the busiest times of the year – not just in the skies but on roads around the airport. Our busiest days this year are projected to be Dec. 21 - 23 and Dec. 26 – 30. Folks who are picking up or dropping off family and friends can avoid the congestion on airport roadways and outside terminals by taking advantage of the 44th Street PHX Sky Train® Station. Past travelers have said that this option is the ideal way to bypass hectic traffic and access the airport during holiday travel.
The 44th Street PHX Sky Train® Station is centrally located on the southwest corner of 44th and Washington streets, and can easily be reached from highways, major streets and Valley Metro Rail. It features a Cell Phone Waiting Lot and it provides easy access to all airport terminals via the free PHX Sky Train®.
Here are some additional travel tips for travelers:
- Confirm flight status with airlines before heading to the airport, then give yourself plenty of time. Arrive at the airport at least two hours before your flight departs if you are flying domestically, three hours if you are flying internationally.
- Drivers should watch freeway signs for airport traffic updates and recommended alternate routes, and they should watch their speed and keep an eye out for officers directing traffic once at Sky Harbor. Expect busy roadways.
- If you plan to park at the airport, take advantage of Prepaid Discount Parking: Go to skyharbor.com/prepaidparking to book online and prepay for lower rates at all three terminal garages and the popular East Economy Parking. Also available is Valet Parking at Terminal 4 (skyharbor.com/valet).
- It’s not too late to choose some presents by browsing our new Holiday Catalog! From snacks to jewelry to gifts for the kids, the Holiday Catalog features lots of locally made goods from some of your favorite Phoenix-area artisans. Treat your loved ones to some Arizona this holiday season!
- Once you’re checked in, treat yourself to something from our shops and restaurants. Sky Harbor is known for its excellent variety of eateries and retail options. Visit skyharbor.com to find out what is close to your gate or look on our Interactive Directories in Terminal 4 for directions.
- If you plan to fly through Terminal 4 Dec. 22-24, you can take advantage of free gift wrapping during select hours. Get more details.
– 30 –