Press Releases - 2014 Archives
Early Bag Check Now Available at Phoenix Sky Harbor Rental Car Center
Phoenix, AZ – Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport is bringing its popular Early Bag Check service to the Rental Car Center. The free service, already available at Sky Harbor’s East Economy Parking and 44th Street PHX Sky Train® station, officially launched this week. Travelers flying American Airlines, Southwest Airlines or US Airways can now check their luggage immediately after returning their rental car, avoiding the hassle of carrying large suitcases onto a shuttle bus and into the airport terminal. Bags must be checked at least 90 minutes before the scheduled flight departure. There is no additional charge for the service, although airline baggage fees apply.
Sky Harbor’s Early Bag Check has already processed more than 100,000 pieces of luggage at East Economy Parking and the 44th Street PHX Sky Train® Station since the service began in late 2012. “We have received tremendous feedback from travelers who have used our Early Bag Check service and we felt it was important to offer this amenity to our rental car customers,” said Steve Grubbs, Acting Deputy Aviation Director for Operations at Phoenix Sky Harbor. “At the end of a vacation or a business trip, we want passengers to have the convenience of checking their luggage early and walking directly to the security checkpoint.”
In addition to checking bags, customers on American, Southwest and US Airways can also have a boarding pass printed at the Early Bag Check Counters. The service is conveniently located near the north and south exits on the customer service level at the Rental Car Center. Customers will walk past the Early Bag Check counters as they exit the Rental Car Center on the way to their shuttles. Early Bag Check in the Sky Harbor Rental Car Center will be open daily from 5 a.m. – 6 p.m.
A new service makes it even easier for travelers to take the train to the plane, eliminating the need to carry checked luggage aboard the PHX Sky Train.
- Travelers flying American Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United and US Airways are able to utilize this service.
- Early Bag Check is available at East Economy Parking, the 44th Street PHX Sky Train® Station, and the Rental Car Center.
- Those parking at East Economy are able to drop off their luggage before they park. Travelers should look for signs when entering East Economy parking.
- Travelers using the METRO light rail or who are dropped off at the 44th Street PHX Sky Train® Station are able to check their bags on Level 2 on the east side of the station.
- Travelers using the Rental Car Center are able to check their bags after returning their car and before boarding the Airport Shuttle.
- Those travelers wishing to use the Early Bag Check service should check their bags a minimum of 90 minutes prior to their flight departure. Please note due to airline policies, baggage cannot be checked more than four hours in advance of flight departure.
- There is no additional cost for this service though individual airline bag fees still apply. Gratuities are accepted for great service.
- Please note that some special baggage items such as car seats and sporting good equipment need to be checked at the Airline Ticket Counter.
- For East Economy, hours of operation are 4 a.m. - 6 p.m., 7 days a week, including holidays.
- For 44th Street, hours of operation are 6 a.m. - 1 p.m., Monday through Saturday, including holidays.
- For the Rental Car Center, hours of operation are 5 a.m. - 6 p.m., 7 days a week, including holidays.
- We apologize but Early Bag Check cannot currently be used by Southwest Customers flying on a senior fare. The airline is currently working on a fix. In the meantime those travelers flying on senior fares should check in at the Southwest Airlines Ticket Counter in Terminal 4.
- Early Bag Check is not available to international travelers at this time.