Press Releases - 2015 Archives
Plan Ahead For Thanksgiving Travel
Plan Ahead For Thanksgiving Travel
Baxter Teams Up With Sky Harbor to Show Locals How to Beat the Traffic
Phoenix, AZ – Phoenix Sky Harbor will be busy for the Thanksgiving holiday. The evening before Thanksgiving will be the busiest of the year on the roadways, and it is especially important that drivers plan ahead to save themselves time and to avoid roadway congestion. Phoenix Sky Harbor is urging those picking up and dropping off passengers to use the 44th Street and Washington PHX Sky Train® Station. Just in time for the holiday, the Airport has announced a new campaign – Locals Know Where To Go. Baxter, the Arizona Diamondback’s honored mascot, has partnered with Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport to spread the word about the 44th Street and Washington PHX Sky Train® Station as the best place to drop off and pick up passengers in order to avoid congested curbs and busy roadways.
Locals Know Where to Go which can be viewed at skyharbor.com/LocalsKnowWhereToGo or at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9sUuTsbjjU features Baxter in a short video demonstrating how easy the 44th Street PHX Sky Train® Station is to use. Baxter also shows off the station’s amenities such as:
- Early Bag Check – a handy service for those flying American Airlines, Southwest, or United to check their bags before boarding the PHX Sky Train.
- Boarding Pass Kiosk – print your boarding pass before arriving at the terminal
- Free Cell Phone Waiting Lot – wait free of charge for your party
- PHX Sky Train® - the Airport terminals are just minutes away – and it’s free!
To encourage drivers to use the 44th Street PHX Sky Train® Station, two hours of free parking will be offered at the station’s cell phone lot from November 23 – December 1.
The PHX Sky Train® Station is on the southwest corner of 44th Street and Washington.
From the East Valley, drivers have two options to access the Station:
- Take the 202 west to the 44th Street exit and proceed south
- Drive north on State Route 143 to the Washington Street exit, drive west on Washington to 44th Street, then turn south.
From the West Valley and Central Phoenix:
- Take the 202 east to the 44th Street exit and proceed south
Here are more travel tips for those traveling this Thanksgiving holiday:
- Arrive at the Airport at least two hours before your flight departs.
- Look through your purse or carry-on bag before you come to the Airport. Visit tsa.gov for information about what can be placed in your carry-on.
- Reserve your parking in advance at https://www.skyharbor.com/ParkingTransportation/parking to save money on terminal garage parking. And, for up-to-the-minute parking availability call 602-273-4545 or visit skyharbor.com/FindASpot
- Take advantage of Early Bag Check, a handy service for travelers flying American Airlines, Southwest or United. Travelers may check their bags before they arrive at the terminal and avoid the ticket counter lines. The service is available at East Economy Parking, the 44th Street PHX Sky Train Station® and at the Rental Car Center. Early Bag Check is free, though airline bag fees still apply.
- Watch Freeway Signs. Drivers should watch for freeway signs providing Airport traffic updates and recommending alternate routes. Drivers are also asked to watch their speed as they enter Sky Harbor and keep an eye out for officers directing traffic. Whether you’re traveling for Thanksgiving or picking up a friend or loved one, give yourself extra time and expect busy roadways. For the latest information on Thanksgiving traffic conditions, follow Phoenix Sky Harbor on Facebook or Twitter @PHXskyharbor.
- See our Pinterest board of Thanksgiving travel tips.
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, America’s Friendliest Airport, has an annual economic impact of nearly $29 billion. Every day approximately 1,200 aircraft and more than 100,000 passengers arrive and depart at Sky Harbor, making it one of the ten busiest airports in the United States. PHX Sky Harbor is funded with Airport revenue. No local tax dollars are used to support the Airport.