Goal: 10 percent reduction by 2020.
The Phoenix region’s arid, hot climate places a significant premium on water, especially during Phoenix’s summer months. Conserving water is essential for the long-term sustainability of the Phoenix metropolitan area.
With water consumption at PHX averaging 30 million gallons per month, past conservation efforts include:
- Installation of low-flow plumbing fixtures and automatic shutoff valves in restrooms.
- The use of low-irrigation xeriscape landscaping at the airports.
The Aviation Department Sustainability Management Plan has the goal of reducing water consumption by 10 percent by 2020. To achieve this goal, the Aviation Department:
- Worked with Phoenix Water Services Department by performing water audits at its three airports .
- Developed a Water Conservation Plan outlining best opportunities for water conservation at the three airports.
This year, new Water Conservation measures include:
- Implementation of new water treatment technology at Terminal 4 cooling towers, anticipated to save 10 million gallons of water a year.
- Upgrading irrigation control systems at 44th Street PHX Sky Train® Station and Rental Car Center.
- Restroom remodels utilizing the latest water-conserving products.