Phoenix Sky Harbor Reminds Memorial Day Travelers to Plan Ahead
Allow Plenty of Time to Park and Get to Your Gate
May 22, 2023
The summer travel season begins with the upcoming Memorial Day weekend. As the number of people traveling continues to increase and people continue to focus on leisure travel, Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport is expecting robust summer travel passenger volume.
As the airport has seen the busiest first quarter in its history, the key to ensure your summer getaway is a success is to plan ahead. Here are a few tips from America’s Friendliest Airport® to ensure summer travel does not leave you overheated:
- Plan ahead for parking. If you plan to park at the airport, reserve your parking in advance. Book your parking at skyharbor.com/parking. Come early even if you have a reservation. We will be busy so allow for extra time to enter the parking facilities and find a space. See up-to-the-minute parking availability on skyharbor.com. And don’t stop there, we have conveniently numbered the columns throughout each parking area. Take a photo of the parking pillar closest to your car for easy finding when you return.
- Packing your bags. Know what can and cannot go in a carry-on bag. Prohibited items result in checkpoint delays. Unsure if an item should be packed in a carry-on bag or your checked bag? Download the free myTSA app, which has a handy “What can I bring?” feature that allows you to type in the item to find out if it can fly or visit tsa.gov.
- Give yourself extra time. Arrive early and check security wait times online. If you are traveling domestically, arrive two hours before your flight, three hours if you are traveling internationally. Travelers can also check current TSA security checkpoint wait times on skyharbor.com and on the flight information screens in the Airport once they arrive. Traveling in Terminal 4? You can use any security checkpoint to access your gate.
- Reduce your time in the security checkpoint line. Our PHX RESERVE program allows you to save your space and reduce the wait. Make a reservation up to six days before your flight departs. You’ll be provided with a time to enter a designated checkpoint where you’ll begin the standard security process. This program is open to travelers of any airline. Learn more.
We are not just busy in our terminals and on the runways. The roadways around the airport are seeing increased congestion as well. This means picking up or dropping off family and friends can be potentially stressful too. Here are some easy tips to avoid the congestion on airport roadways and outside terminals:
- Take advantage of the PHX Sky Train® Stations for pick-up and drop-off. This will help you avoid terminal curb congestion and roadway traffic. The 44th Street and the 24th Street PHX Sky Train® Stations flank the airport and can easily be reached from highways and major streets. Also remember, from the 44th Street PHX Sky Train® Station there is easy access to the Valley Metro Rail.
- Avoid circling the terminals. Use the Cell Phone Lots. The lots are east of Terminal 4, west of the West Economy Garage and at the 44th Street PHX Sky Train® Station.
Finally, remember we are here to help. From tips on navigating Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport with children or pets to our interactive maps that help you see what food options and services are near your gate, visit skyharbor.com. Also, look for our Navigators dressed in purple. Navigator volunteers serve all over the Airport by providing directions, information, and friendly assistance. They serve as a welcoming presence to more than 120,000 passengers daily, making us America’s Friendliest Airport®.
– 30 –
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, America’s Friendliest Airport®, has an annual economic impact of more than $38 billion. On an average day, approximately 1,200 aircraft and more than 120,000 passengers arrive at and depart from Phoenix Sky Harbor every day. PHX Sky Harbor is funded with airport revenue. No tax dollars are used to support the airport.