PHOENIX – This summer, the travel season rebounds as industry experts predict more Americans will travel this summer than at any time since the start of the pandemic.
Passenger counts continue to increase across the nation as people begin leisurely traveling again. And with the Memorial Day weekend approaching, Phoenix Sky Harbor is expecting to see an increase in passengers, nearly back to pre-pandemic levels.
Travelers can expect continued safety protocols. Though masks are no longer mandated for travel, the CDC recommends mask-wearing while traveling. Phoenix Sky Harbor will have face coverings and other PPE items available for purchase at airport shops and PPE vending machines. Hand-sanitizing stations are still available, and other contactless processes will still be followed.
Here are a few tips from America’s Friendliest Airport® to help ease the stress of passengers returning to the sky.
- Tip #1 – Pack a face covering and other personal protective equipment (PPE), such as hand sanitizer. The Federal Mask Mandate has been lifted; however, the CDC recommends that people wear masks while flying to ensure the safety and well-being of the traveling public and minimize the spread of COVID-19. Some airlines may still require travelers to wear a mask. Check with your airline for specific requirements.
- Tip #2 – Traveling internationally? Check your destination’s entry requirements. Some destinations may require a negative COVID-19 test for entry. COVID-19 testing is offered pre-security in Terminal 4 at Treat. The U.S. still also requires a negative test when returning on an international flight. Be sure to check with your airline and destination for specific information.
- Tip #3– Reserve your parking in advance. Enjoy the convenience of Sky Harbor Discount Parking and save money while reserving your spot at any of our parking facilities.
- Tip #4 – Double-check what’s in your bags. Make sure to look through your bags and review the TSA Prohibited Items List Prohibited Items List the night before your flight.
- Tip #5 – Check the flight status with the airline before coming to the airport to catch a flight or pick up/drop off loved ones. Flight status can be checked on the airline’s website or at skyharbor.com.
- Tip #6 – Give yourself extra time. Arrive early and check security wait times online. If you are traveling domestically, arrive two hours before your flight, and three hours if you are traveling internationally. Travelers can also check current TSA security checkpoint wait times on the homepage of skyharbor.com and on the flight information screens in the Airport once they arrive. Traveling in Terminal 4? You can use any security checkpoint to access your gate.
- Tip #7 – Reduce your time in the security checkpoint line. Our PHX RESERVE program allows you to save your space and reduce the wait. Make a reservation up to three days before your flight departs. You’ll be provided with a time to enter a designated checkpoint lane where you’ll begin the standard security process. This program is open to travelers of any airline, though if you have TSA PreCheck, it’s recommended you use the TSA PreCheck Program. Learn more.
- Tip #8 – Reserve your rental car in advance. No matter where you are traveling, it’s always a good idea to reserve your rental car in advance, as vehicles may be limited for walk-up customers.
Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, America’s Friendliest Airport®, has an annual economic impact of more than $38 billion. Before the COVID-19 pandemic, approximately 1,200 aircraft and more than 125,000 passengers arrived and departed from Sky Harbor daily. PHX Sky Harbor is funded with airport revenue. No tax dollars are used to support the airport.