International Facility Improvements
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the current status of this project?
Phoenix City Council approved the $27 million project to renovate the international facilities in Terminal 4 on Nov. 12, 2013. The project was completed Jan. 15, 2019.
Why now for this project?
New international service and the predicted growth rate of the existing international carriers at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport is expected to increase to 4.4 million annual international passengers by 2030, up from 2.3 million in 2015. The improvements in this project will accommodate and maintain an acceptable level of service for PHX international passengers, especially during heavy international arrival periods.
What improvements were made?
After improvements, 800-plus passengers per hour are able to be accommodated, thus enhancing the level of service we provide.
- Added stairs
- Larger and faster elevators
- Increased queuing space with a reconfigured primary processing queue and entry to process passengers more efficiently
- Enlargement of baggage carousels to increase bag claim capacity
- Installation of 12 Automated Passport Control kiosks
- New queuing area for Secondary Screening
How much did this project cost?
The cost for this project was $27 million. The project was financed through airport revenues such as parking, concessions and tenant fees. No local tax dollars were used.