What's Happening Stories

Press Conference 6


Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport Recognized for Sustainability Efforts

Sep 17, 2019, 11:00 AM by Public Relations

Airports Council International (ACI) accepted the renewal of Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport’s Level 2 Reduction in the Airport Carbon Accreditation program, which recognized achievements for two years and further reduction in the airport’s carbon footprint.

A carbon footprint is the amount of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases that get into the atmosphere due to the activity of humans. In 2014, the Airport started its sustainability journey and set a goal to reduce its carbon intensity by 10 percent in 2020, a goal that Sky Harbor has already exceeded.

Sky Harbor has been recognized for its efforts for four years in a row due to its dedication to reducing its carbon footprint by making changes in airport work activity as well as in design and construction to create a more environmentally friendly airport.

Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport Recognized for Sustainability EffortsSince 2014, the Airport has reduced its carbon footprint by 25 percent and currently, 90 percent of Sky Harbor’s Level 2 carbon footprint for airport-owned buildings and activities is from the use of electricity. The remaining 10 percent is from fleet fuels.

The airport has created a more sustainable environment by replacing traditional lighting with LED lights to reduce energy consumption and upgrading HVAC cooling systems with more energy-efficient technology.

When modernizing Terminal 3, Sky Harbor created a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) silver building featuring new, energy-efficient equipment. The Airport is also retro-commissioning Terminal 4, which is a systematic process developed to evaluate, document, and improve the operation of base building systems, and is looking for improvements in its controls and mechanical systems. To learn more about all of Sky Harbor’s sustainability initiatives, please visit http://skyharbor.com/sustainability.

The Airport Carbon Accreditation Program is a voluntary initiative for airports that want to demonstrate their commitment to reduce global warming and climate change. For more information on the program, visit http://www.airportcarbonaccreditation.org/.